Thursday, September 27, 2007

A frugalish recipe

A few weeks ago, I bought some Pyrex containers so I could start cooking in bulk and freezing food. Another plus is I can take more complex foods to work, keep them in the refrigerator, and have a nice lunch. Before, I was pretty much limited to sandwiches and fruit.

Anyway, for lunch today I had leftover thin spaghetti, a dollop (or two) of olive oil, and some grated Parmesan cheese. Normally when I have spaghetti for dinner, I toss the extra noodles, but this lunch was so yummy I'll probably do it again. I think the total cost of this meal was less than $1, though it's hard to say because I don't remember how much the cheese had cost. It's truly amazing how much money you can save by bringing lunch, and specifically leftovers, from home. And it tastes so much better than a $5 sub or, even the McDonald's double cheeseburger.

2 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I also had leftovers for lunch today. I love to eat leftovers for lunch...it's so much more appealing than another PB&J sandwich!

Jon said...

I'll always have a soft spot for the PB&J. Sometimes I wonder how many I've eaten in my lifetime. It was my lunch staple all the way until college... that's probably several thousand right there!